Monday, December 22, 2014

Best of 2014

I can't believe it is that time again! What a year it has been too! I feel like just months ago I was writing the last best of list before packing my things and heading back to Canada. Well now I have been here for a year, I am married and finished with a number of big projects! It has been a good year. But what about all the media I have enjoyed all year. I know that is why you are really here. Well with all that going on, I have still had plenty of time to take in shows and movies, and according to my Goodreads account, read over 120 books and comic collections.
So without further ado, let's get to my annual list of the best stuff I found and enjoyed this year.

As a reminder, this is not a list of the best things made or released this year, but merely a list of my favorite things I discovered. It may include old things I have finally had time to enjoy, or it may just include things that are new and exciting (as was the case for a few categories, when my favorite things were listed in previous years' lists.)


Best Movies:

Live Action - Feature
Winner: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
RunnerUp: Interstellar (2014)
Honorable Mention: Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)


Animated - Feature
Winner: The Lego Movie (2014)
Runner Up: The Boxtrolls (2014)
Honorable Mention: Mr Peabody and Sherman (2014)





Best TV:

Live Action - Series
Winner: Grimm (NBC)
Runner Up: True Detective (HBO)
Honorable Mention: Once Upon a Time (ABC)


Animated - Series
Winner: Legend of Korra (Nick)
Runner Up: Ultimate Spider-Man (Disney XD)
Honorable Mention: Regular Show (Cartoon Network)



Music and Audio:

Artist of the Year
Winner: Glitch Mob
Runner Up: Walk the Moon
Honorable Mention: Skip the Use


Album of the Year
Winner: Broken Crown Halo (Lacuna Coil)
Runner Up: Cant' Be Late (Skip the Use)
Honorable Mention: Fancy Footwork (Chromeo)


Podcast
Winner: Bullseye with Jesse Thorn (Maximum Fun)
Runner Up: Judge John Hodgeman (Maximum Fun)

Books:

General Fiction
Winner: The Fault in our Stars (John Green)
Runner Up: Fade to Blonde (Max Phillips)
Honorable Mention: Plunder of the Sun (David Dodge)

Horror
Winner: Monstromologist (Rick Yancey)
Runner Up: Beneath the Moors (Brian Lumley)


SF/Fantasy
Winner: Jane Carver of Waar (Nathan Long)
Runner Up: The Time Traveler's Almanac (Vandermeer)
Honorable Mention: Wool (Hugh Howey)


Non-Fiction
Winner: Why People Believe Weird Things (Michael Shermer)
Runner Up: A Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England (Ian Mortimer)
Honorable Mention: The Blood and Thunder Guide to Pulp Fiction (Ed Hulse)







Comics:
Winner: Nova (Marvel)
Runner Up: The Witcher (Dark Horse)
Honorable Mention: X-Files Season 10 (IDW)







Games:

Tabletop Games:
Winner: Smash Up (AEG)
Runner Up: Boss Monster (Brotherwise)
Honorable Mention: Discworld - Ankh-Morpork (Mayfair)



Video Games:
Best RPG: Tales of Graces F (PS3)
Best Action Game: LEGO Marvel (PC)
Best Artistic Game: Journey (PS3)
Best Multiplayer: Minecraft (PS3)





Hope your 2014 was fun and filled with great entertainment. Have a fantastic new year!!


No comments:

Post a Comment