Sunday, December 30, 2012

TN's Best of 2012

Yet another year is done. It has been an adventurous one at that (despite the fact that the world didn't end). This year's best list will have to be a little minimal, as I haven't taken in as much media in my year abroad. I have read more, but watched less. As in other years, this list is not entirely made of things from this year, but things I discovered or really liked in 2012. I hope you enjoy the list of things I found and enjoyed this year. Have a happy new year!
Movies!
Domestic:
Winner: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
Runner Up: Cabin in the Woods (2012)
Honorable Mention: Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)

Foreign:
Winner: Iron Sky (2012)
(I will admit, this movie wasn't that great, but strangely enough it was the only new foreign film I saw this year.)

Animated:
Winner: The Pirates! in an Adventure with Scientists (2012)
Runner Up: Paranorman (2012)


TV series!
Comedy:
Winner: Would I Lie to You (BBC One)
Runner Up: QI (BBC Two)

Drama:
Winner: Newsroom (HBO)
Runner Up: Boardwalk Empire (HBO)

Documentary:
Winner: Through the Wormhole (Science)

Animated:
Winner: Adventure Time (Cartoon Network)
Runner Up: Gravity Falls (Disney)
Honorable Mention: Green Lantern (Cartoon Network)

Music!
Artist of the Year:
Winner: Porcupine Tree

Album of the Year:
Winner: Cognitive - Soen
Runner Up: Requiem for the Indifferent - Epica

Books!
In all honesty, I was very close to just making this a list of books and comics (as always, I have read many of those). The list might have really been lacking something then, so I narrowed down a few book choices and padded out the rest of the media list.

Fiction:
Winner: Grifter's Game - Lawrence Block
Runner Up: The Righteous - Michael Wallace
Honorable Mention: Godless - Pete Hautman

SciFi/Fantasy:
Winner: Dawn - Octavia Butler
Runner Up: Hide Me Among the Graves - Tim Powers
Honorable Mention: Fistful of Reefer - David Mark Brown

Horror:
Winner: The Taint and other Novellas - Brian Lumely
Runner Up: Harvest Home - Thomas Tryon
Honorable Mention: Innsmouth Syndrome - Philip Hemplow

Nonfiction:
Winner: Mindfulness in Plain English - Bhante Henepola Gunaratana
Runner Up: Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself - Alan Alda
Honorable Mention: Tune in Tokyo - Tim Anderson

Comics!
Winner: Saga (Image)
Runner Up: Ragemoor (Darkhorse)
Honorable Mention: Rocketeer Adventures (IDW)


No comments:

Post a Comment