Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Great Lovecraft Reread

Illustration by Jeff Powers © 2012
I have decided to undertake a rather exciting and ambitious project. Giving myself tasks or interesting challenges is somewhat a hobby of mine. And often these challenges include some element of reading, art or some other creative activity I enjoy. This time around I have set for myself quite a lofty challenge indeed. Combining not only the pleasure of reading and drawing, but also the task of critical thinking and writing, then adding in the one author who has not only influenced much of my writing and artwork, but inspired this very blog. The task at hand is to reread all of the written works of H. P. Lovecraft, in the order they were written (at least those I can get my hands on because of copyright with collaborated authors), then creatively share elements from each story. I have titled this Lovecraft 101, after a discussion with a friend who had never read any of HPL’s works but enjoyed my blog and wanted to know more. This won’t be long-winded reviews, but more like little personal insights into the stories and a unique illustration for each one. Perhaps it will help the uninitiated pick out the stories they would like to read, or if they have read them all before, give them a chance to take another look at them, and give their own input. And the best part of all is that I will link to a digital copy of each story, so if you are interested you can check out the stories yourself (HPL’s work now belongs in the public domain, so anyone can enjoy it).
So on a semi-regular basis check out TN for more of the Great Lovecraft Reread and Lovecraft 101, read some great little tales of terror, and comment on what you thought. It’s like a Weird Tales, creepy nerd, book club! Hah! I am expecting it to be a lot of fun.
Jeff Powers
(publisher of Tentacle News)

No comments:

Post a Comment