Solstice Fun Facts:
- The word solstice derives from Latin sol (sun) and sistere (to stand still).
- Ancient Pagans celebrated Midsummer with bonfires, when couples would leap through the flames, believing their crops would grow as high as the couples were able to jump.
- Pagans called the Midsummer moon the "Honey Moon" for the mead made from fermented honey that was part of wedding ceremonies performed at the Summer Solstice. (mmmm mead...).
- The Chinese mark the day by honoring Li, the Chinese Goddess of Light.
- In the southern hemisphere it is the Winter Solstice.